Let’s face it, our backyards and stoops are going to have to step up their game this summer as travel options are limited. And there’s nothing quite like giving classic games your personal touch to take them to the next level. So get your SIP team together, get your gear ready (don’t forget a refreshing cocktail or two), and scroll down for * all * DIY games to enjoy in the sun.
1. Checkered trip: Follow our tutorial to turn cute wooden drafts and chess sets into life-size travel games with VELCRO so you don’t lose a single piece in your garden or at the park. (via Brit + Co.)
2. Diamond washer set: This colorful take on the classic is sure to be the one you will keep with you for warm-weather games. (via A Nice Mess)
3. Giant Jenga in contrasting colors: This inexpensive project could make an A + gift for a family or friend who loves outdoor games. (via A Nice Mess)
4. DIY cornhole set: Building your own cornhole set is easier than you might think – we’re making ours with old canvas for our dear old daddy for Father’s Day. (via Brit + Co.)
5. DIY Donut Twister: We live for flashback games, so we really feel this sweet-sweet version of the classic. Be careful though, the donut gets tangled! (via Studio DIY)
6. Flamingo Ring Toss Game: Turn your lawn ornaments into a legitimate party game with just a few DIY supplies. (via sugar and tissue)
7. DIY table top Tic-Tac-Toe: This trendy design doesn’t require a ton of artistic flair * and * you can easily wrap it up for indoors or outdoors. (via A Nice Mess)
8. DIY lawn matching game: This game is great for the backyard, picnics, even trips to the beach, and it’s made of cork tiles, so it’s completely reusable. The tutorial includes printables, making it your easiest project of the entire season. (via Studio DIY)
9. Pastel horseshoes: Update classic garden games like horseshoes or croquet with pastel spray paint color blocks for fun in the sun! (via Design Love Fest)
ten. Make a tree swing: Nothing brings back memories of summer more than a wooden swing hanging under a tree. If you have little ones or are a kid at heart, don’t go another day without this summer essential. (via A Nice Mess)
12. DIY Cactus Ring Toss: Ring Toss has just received a very trendy upgrade. If you’d rather spend your budget on tasty snacks and cocktails, you’ll love this garden game that consists of nothing more than cardboard boxes and paint. Bonus: you can use these adorable cacti as an interior decoration later. (via Brit + Co)
13. DIY chalk popsicles: Give some adults chalk on the sidewalk and watch their inner child emerge. (via Hello, Wonderful)
15. DIY fabric picnic games: We love the idea of a game board that you can fold and slip into your picnic basket for any local adventure! And if you don’t know how to play Squares yet, you can learn it here too. (via Say Yes)
16. DIY color block games: Install some of these vibrantly colored board games to keep kids and adults entertained at home. (via Brit + Co)
17. DIY petanque balls: When it comes time to bring out the bocce balls, make sure your color scheme is on point and in top patriotic shape. Give an old bocce ball a makeover with a starry makeover and a fresh coat of paint. (via Brit + Co)
follow us on Pinterest for more DIY inspiration!
(Additional report by Kate Thorn)
Ther post was updated from a previous article published in March 2019.